President Rodrigo Duterte gives viewpoint about the Philippines’ economy in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.
During the briefing with Cabinet officials in Davao City last Tuesday, President Duterte said that a developing country like the Philippines can’t afford a “pandemonium”.
“Tayo hong pobre we cannot afford really a total epidemic or pandemonium. Mahirap tayo hindi tayo puwedeng sumugal. I cannot follow the example of other countries because as the experience has shown as of now, there were a lot of countries also opening up,” President Rodrigo Duterte said in a pre-recorded address.
President Duterte defend the moderate easing of restrictions and arguing the number of people allowed to leave their homes is still in the manageable level.
“We are still grappling with the first wave,” he said. “We have to be very circumspect in reopening the economy. Dahan-dahan lang.” President Duterte said.
“Because if you open the entire Philippines and thousands upon thousands of new cases would happen, then we are in deep shit. Talagang mahirapan tayo. Unang-una wala tayong pera.” President Duterte added.
On the other hand, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III said the country’s economic centers in Metro Manila and Calabarzon should soon be placed under the more relaxed modified general community quarantine “as quickly as possible” in boosting the economy amid to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dominguez also mentioned in targeting the lockdown of barangays and companies that has a high number of coronavirus infections.
In addition, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the Philippines had to reopen partially the economy or the people would died due to lack of livelihood. He also added that the country’s healthcare system has enough critical care resources and most of the majority cases were mild or asymptomatic.
“Ang balita po natin talaga is tumataas ang kaso, ito po ay expected habang walang bakuna. Pinaghandaan po natin ‘to, sapat-sapat po ang ating mga kama para sa mga magkakasakit,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
“Pero dahil mayroon tayong sandata laban sa COVID-19, pupuwede na natin buksan ang ekonomiya at magkaroon ng hanapbuhay ang lahat.” Roque added.
As of Tuesday, the Philippines had already 47,873 COVID-19 cases, with 12,386 recoveries and 1,309 deaths.
Source: GMA NEWS ONLINE